Covidien, a leading global provider of healthcare products, will showcase a number of its most recent innovations in minimally invasive surgery (MIS) and soft tissue repair at the American Society for Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS) annual meeting on June 21-26, 2009, in Grapevine, Texas. These state-of-the-art innovations underscore Covidien’s commitment to working in partnership with the surgical community to develop surgical instruments designed to optimize patient outcomes.
A number of prominent surgeons also will address key industry issues at the Covidien exhibit, including sleeve gastrectomy, the impact of bariatric surgery on patients with Type 2 diabetes, Allergan LAP-BAND AP® Adjustable Gastric Banding System and the next generation of MIS technology.
Located at booth 125, Covidien will present a broad range of laparoscopic instrumentation, electrosurgical devices, surgical staplers, mesh products and other specialized solutions. Of note is the SILS™ PORT, a single, flexible port that can be fitted through a small incision in the umbilicus and can accommodate up to three laparoscopic instruments. This progressive approach allows for easy specimen removal, while providing greater stability, support and maneuverability for hand instruments. Additional information on SILS PORT is available at www.sils.com.
Other products on display at Covidien’s booth include:
- Duet TRS™ Reload – an endoscopic stapler preloaded with tissue reinforcement material, which is a synthetic absorbable polymer that remains flat and secure during placement on and manipulation of tissue. This integrated device provides surgeons with the option of using tissue reinforcement without any additional steps. More information on Duet TRS Reload can be found by visiting www.duettrs.com.
- ForceTriad™ – an energy platform that delivers monopolar, bipolar and next-generation LigaSure™ tissue fusion in one integrated, software-driven unit. The software can be updated remotely through a secure Internet connection, ensuring that the platform is always up-to-date with the technological enhancements. For additional information about the ForceTriad, please visit www.forcetriad.com.
- Force TriVerse™ – a single-use electrosurgical instrument that provides surgeons with a range of options for precise control and tissue effect. The device provides access to three distinct tissue effect modes: Cut, Coag and Valleylab™ mode, which offers monopolar hemostasis and dissection while using a lower-power setting, resulting in less char, thermal spread and arcing than a traditional Coagulation mode. To learn more about the Force TriVerse, please visit www.forcetriad.com.
- Kendall SCD™ Sequential Compression System – a fully transportable vascular compression system with specific FDA-cleared indication for use for DVT and PE prophylaxis for the at-risk patient, including the bariatric and morbidly obese patient. The large and extra-large Kendall SCD compression sleeves are designed to fit and protect obese patients from DVT. The system delivers clinically-proven sequential, gradient, circumferential compression that clinicians have come to know and trust. Additional information on the SCD Sequential Compression System is available at www.kendallvasculartherapy.com.
- Allergan LAP-BAND AP® Adjustable Gastric Banding System – approved by the FDA in June 2001 for severely obese adults with a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 40 or more and for adults with a BMI of at least 35 plus at least one severe obesity-related health condition, such as Type 2 diabetes, hypertension or asthma. Used in more than 450,000 procedures worldwide, the LAP-BAND® System was developed to facilitate long-term weight loss and reduce the health risks associated with severe and morbid obesity.
- LigaSure Advance™ – a multifunctional 5 mm laparoscopic instrument that offers surgeons fingertip control of both tissue fusion and monopolar dissection. This device enables surgeons to create fusion cycles in two to four seconds, and to access Valleylab mode, the unique energy modality that delivers dissection and hemostasis. More information about the LigaSure Advance can be found at www.ligasure.com/advance.
- Parietex ProGrip™ – the first bicomponent mesh of monofilament polyester and a resorbable polylactic acid gripping system for truly tension-free repair. This secure, biocompatible solution is positioned and placed in the same manner as in a standard open patch repair. Suture fixation is not required, but used at the discretion of the surgeon. Visit www.covidien.com/progrip for further information on Parietex ProGrip.
- Permacol™ Biologic Implant – a biologic mesh for hernia and abdominal wall repair that combines the clinical advantages of a biologic with the durability, strength, size and intraoperative efficiency of a synthetic in an acellular porcine dermal implant. This implant utilizes a unique crosslinking formula that adds to the durability of the repair while providing the bioavailability expected of a biologic implant. Further information on Permacol biologic implant can be downloaded at www.covidien.com/hernia.
- Valleylab Solid Lap Electrodes – an electrosurgical accessory available in multiple configurations to allow surgeons to customize for different laparoscopic procedures. The electrodes feature an extended tip that delivers energy safely and consistently, and reduces the potential of unintended site burns.
- Versaport™ Plus Bladeless Trocars – a bladeless access device that provides enhanced precision and control, low insertion force, a small fascial defect and superior port fixation. Leveraging advanced secure entry technology, the trocars can be used in conventional and advanced laparoscopic procedures in general, bariatric, colon and rectal, gynecological and urological surgery. To learn more about Versaport Plus Bladeless Trocars, please visit www.bladelesstrocar.com.
- Other featured products – AbsorbaTack™ 5mm Fixation Device (www.absorbatack.com), DST Series™ EEA™ stapler and OrVil™ device and Parietex™ PCO (www.covidien.com/syneture).